iCollege Design & Support
iCollege is the new, consolidated learning environment powered by Brightspace by Desire2Learn, and includes all the previous features and integrated tools. iCollege will be used for all courses beginning in the upcoming Fall 2016 semester.
Your previous Brightspace environment will remain available to view until August 2017, but will not be available for future coursework.
Legacy Brightspace Log In >
In-Depth Online Support
Customizing Your Course Look and Feel
Instructors can customize the look and feel of their courses to better streamline the interface as well as provide a personal experience for students. Click here for instructions or contact the CETL at 404-413-4700 and email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are a new instructor and your paperwork is going to take some time to process please contact the IIT Technology Service Desk, 404-413-4357 or firstname.lastname@example.org, and request a temporary iCollege id.
To find your courses click on the magnifying glass at the top of your course list. This will list all of your courses. Across the top are dropdown menus that allow you to filter the courses by semester and department .
If you need more immediate access to your iCollege course please have your supervisor contact the IIT Service Desk, 404-413-4357 or email@example.com, and request that you be added to the course.
- On the right hand side of the menu go to Edit Course and click on Import/Export/Copy Components.
- Find the Search for Offering button in the middle of the page and click on it.
- Choose the course you want to take the information from.
- Click Add Selected.
- Click on Copy All Components or click on Select Components. Copy All Components makes an exact copy of your course, while Select Components allows you to make choices about what top copy. Make sure to select Course Files when copying Content.
There will be a status bar on the right hand side that will tell you when it’s done.
For more information about copying content from one course to another, please reference our Copying Content help file.
- Select Classlist from the Communication dropdown menu.
- Click Add existing users from the Add Participants button.
- Enter the first and last name or campus id of the person you would like to add.
- Select the TA Full Access role from the role dropdown menu.
- Select the section you would like to add them to.
- Select the check box beside the user you want to enroll.
- Click Enroll Selected Users.
- Select Classlist from the Communications menu in your course.
- Find the Demo Student (they may be listed as Student, Demo or Demo Student).
- Click the down arrow to the right of the Demo Student's name and then click Impersonate.
- Click Yes on the Confirmation window to navigate the course as a student.
To return to the instructor view
- Click Demo Student in the upper right hand of the screen.
- Click Restore to return to your view.
If you are unfamiliar with the organization of the Content in iCollege, please first review the Understanding the Organization of the Content help file.
Before adding content to your course, you must first create a Module. All content within modules is called a Topic.
Adding a Module
- Access the Content tool from the Resources dropdown menu.
- Click the Table of Contents link in the left column.
- Enter your new module title in the Add a module... field, which is below the Table of Contents title and any existing modules.
- Press Enter or click outside the field to add the module.
Adding Content Topics
- Click on the module you want to create a new topic for from the Table of Contents panel.
- Click on the New button and select one of the following options:
- Upload Files
- Create a File
- Create a Link
- Add from Manage Files
- Add Object from LOR
- New Checklist
- New Discussion
- New Dropbox
- New Quiz
- New Survey
For more information about adding content to your course, please reference our Content help file.
- Open the file so that you can view it within the Content.
- Click on the triangle dropdown menu to the right of the file's name.
- Select Change Topic File and upload a new file.
If you are unfamiliar with the iCollege gradebook, we recommend that you first review the following help topics.
Once you know which grading system you will select you will next complete basic setup of your gradebook using the Grades Setup Wizard.
The last step is to create the columns in the gradebook where you will enter student scores. These are called Grade Items. The most commonly used grade item is the numeric grade item. You may also need one or more Grade Categories. Grade categories are used to group similar grade items. They help organize the gradebook and allow you to drop the lowest or highest grades from a category.
For additional support using the gradebook to enter grades, create bonus items, and more, please view the Grades page in our help section.
If you need any additional help, please contact the the IIT Service Desk at 404-413-4357 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To release the final grade, do one of the following:
- Release grades for selected students: On the Enter Grades page, click Grade All from the Final Calculated Grade or Final Adjusted Grade dropdown menu. Select the Release Adjusted Final Grade check box for the user whose grades you want to release, and click Save.
- Release grades for all students: On the Enter Grades page, click Grade All from the Final Calculated Grade or Final Adjusted Grade dropdown menu. Select Release All from the Final Grades dropdown menu.
More Support for Faculty
CETL Instructional Support staff can assist with any iCollege-related questions, including:
- Customizing the look, feel, and functionality of the iCollege environment to fit your teaching style
- Encouraging meaningful online discussion and collaboration
- Uploading and organizing content
- Setting up and troubleshooting the Gradebook
- Creating quizzes and using Respondus
- Using assignment submission Dropbox and TurnItIn plagiarism detection
- Integrating multimedia
- Extending functionality with integrated technologies
For help using iCollege to support your teaching, email email@example.com. In your email, please include possible dates and times that work for you to meet, as well as some details regarding what you’d like to discuss. We look forward to hearing from you!